Friday, May 08, 2015

Regular, Deliberate Practice

A favourite reader of this blog tells me she has stopped reading. Not only is my posting not as reliable as it has been in the past, my posts have been too long and impractical. (Maybe I was right, after all, to apologise for being so "philosophical".) My regular readers are important to me, so I'm going to do something about this starting already next week. I'll go back to posts written between and 6:30 and 7:00 in the morning, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and to writing mainly about how to write scholarly articles.

In fact, I think I need to write two articles of my own—one about the process, the other about the product. In the first, I will present in a comprehensive way my approach to establishing reliable "writing moments" for the composition of prose paragraphs. In the second, I will present my outline of the "standard social science article". My aim is, first and foremost, to be helpful. But I recognise that I also have a "normative" project. I think social science would be better off if its contributors were more deliberate about the presentation of their results. My posts for the next little while will be about clarifying my proposal for getting this to happen.

No comments: